LDI Health Policy Retreat
Open to Penn LDI Fellows
After a one-year hiatus due to the pandemic, we’re excited to announce the relaunch of Penn LDI’s Annual Health Policy Retreat, an event that brings together LDI Fellows to stimulate interdisciplinary research, foster campus-wide interactions, and network with colleagues, old and new.
Julie Gerberding, MD, MPH
Julie Gerberding served as the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 2002–2009. While at the agency, she led more than 40 emergency responses against crises such as anthrax, SARS, bird flu, food-borne outbreaks, and natural disasters. She is currently Chief Patient Officer and Executive Vice President, Population Health & Sustainability at Merck.
Ezekiel Emanuel, MD, PhD
Ezekiel Emanuel served as Special Advisor for Health Policy to the Director of the White House Office of Management and Budget. He is currently Vice Provost for Global Initiatives, the Diane v.S. Levy and Robert M. Levy University Professor, and Co-Director of the Healthcare Transformation Institute at the University of Pennsylvania.
Lightning Talk Session #1: Improving Care for Older Adult Patients and Their Providers
Moderator: Atul Gupta, PhD
- Katie Auriemma, MD: “If You Have it in Writing… You Don’t Have to Worry About it”: How Traditional Advance Directives Undermine Advance Care Planning
- Norma Coe, PhD: Effect of Cognitive Training on Claims-Based Diagnosed Dementia in the Long-Term: Evidence from ACTIVE
- Rachel French, PhD, RN: Conditions of Nursing Practice in Hospitals and Nursing Homes Pre-COVID: Implications for Policy Action
- Kira Ryskina, MD, MSHP: Access to Primary and Specialty Care in NHs
- Hummy Song, PhD, MPP: “I Quit”: The Role of Schedule Volatility on Employee Turnover
Lightning Talk Session #2: Health Equity, Structural Racism, and Social Determinants of Health
Moderator: Adriana Perez, PhD
- Julia Lynch, PhD: Seeing Health Inequalities Like a State: The Political Determinants of National Health Data Collection Strategies
- Sasmira Matta: Changes in Health Care Workers’ Income since the ACA
- Onome Osokpo, PhD, RN: The Association Between Social Determinants of Health and Self-Care of African Immigrants with Chronic Disease
- Eugenia South, MD, MSHP: The IGNITE Trial: New NIH funded U01
- Samuel Takvorian, MD, MSHP: Association Between State Medicaid Policies and Accrual of Black Participants to Cancer Clinical Trials
Lightning Talk Session #3: Innovations, Outcomes, and Interventions
Moderator: Scott Lorch, MD, MSCE
- Diane Alexander, PhD: Medicare Reimbursements and Innovation: The Case of the Wearable Artificial Kidney
- Abby Alpert, PhD: Opioid Abuse and Employment Outcomes: Evidence from the U.S. Military
- Austin Kilaru, MD, MSHP: The PATH (Practical Alternative to Hospitalization) Randomized Controlled Trial
- Anna Morgan, MD, MSc: A 30-day Automated SMS Program to Support Post-Discharge Transitions of Care
- Alex Olssen, PhD: Competing Risks and Medical Innovation
Keynote Conversation: Reimagining the Public Health Infrastructure in a Post-Pandemic Era
Julie Gerberding, MD, MPH, former Director of the CDC, interviewed by Ezekiel Emanuel, MD, PhD
Networking Happy Hour//Poster Session
Venue and Attendance Information
- In alignment with policies of the University and the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, all attendees must complete a day-of symptom check through PennOpen Campus and follow all other University public health guidance.
- Masks are required indoors except when eating or drinking.
- The Networking Happy Hour will take place indoors and in an adjacent outdoor covered space.
- Requirements may change prior to or on the day of the event.